Awards and Milestones
Established Asia Wine Service and Education Centre (AWSEC).
2019 was a great year for AWSEC. We celebrated 25 years of being Asia’s premier provider of Wine, Spirits and Sake education with many students and partners joining us for a series of celebrations in several of our offices throughout Asia.
In 2020, we will continue our effort to provide best-in-class education services to wine and spirit professionals and enthusiasts. We will expand our range of courses including Spanish Wine Scholar and Whisky Ambassador. We will also develop a series of new and interesting tutored tasting.
To offer a unique learning experience, we will run a couple of study tours this year. The participants will have a chance to have a better understanding of key wine regions terroir and assess some premium wineries with tailor-made arrangements.
Revamping AWSEC Club is also one of our key priorities. We want to create a networking platform for our students and alumni. Beside enjoying course special offers and different merchants’ discounts, AWSEC Club members can join our exclusive events, which will run on a regular basis.
Besides Hong Kong, we will expand our business in China. We will open a new training centre in Shenzhen. We also actively look at the expansion opportunity in other Asia markets.
Lastly, I would like to take this opportunity, on behalf of whole AWSEC Team, to thank you for all of your support and we all look forward to seeing you in one of our many courses, AWSEC Club events and tours in 2020 and beyond.
CEO & Principal Educator, AWSEC
Pioneer in Wine Education for 25 Years
Established in 1994, Asia Wine Service & Education Centre (“AWSEC”) has influenced and trained over 100,000 wine professionals and enthusiasts in Hong Kong, China and Asia, building up the industry in this part of the world.
We are the longest established Approved Programme Provider with the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (“WSET®”) UK, and the only one offering the whole portfolio of the WSET® courses and examinations up to and including Diploma in Hong Kong.
Key Role in Developing Hong Kong as Wine Hub in Asia
AWSEC has been recognised by the Hong Kong Government as the market leader in wine education and training - a vital role in developing Hong Kong as the wine hub in Asia.
In addition, AWSEC has been involved in wine seminars, workshops, events and programmes in Hong Kong and China:
- Acted as the committee for the discussion panel at the first Hong Kong International Wine Fair.
- The CIVB (Bordeaux Wine School) had Jennie Mack speaking at the Wine & Dine Festival in October 2011.
- The Spanish Trade Commission invited AWSEC educators to offer Spanish wine workshops at HOFEX and the International Wine Fair in 2011.
- The Greece HEPO (Hellenic Exports Promotion Organisation) runs partnership with AWSEC to increase awareness of Greek wines in Hong Kong.
- With Hong Kong increasingly becoming an important wine hub in Asia, the second edition of Winefuture was held here in November 2011, for which AWSEC was the local partner. This wine summit featured well known and respected wine personalities like Robert Parker Jr., Jancis Robinson MW, Steven Spurrier, our own Masters of Wine Debra Meiburg and Jeannie Cho Lee and others from all over the world.
- In conjunction with A+ Wine Australia and Maxxium (now Edrington Hong Kong), we had a masterclass hosted by James Halliday and fellow winemakers to a group of 100 people at AWSEC.
AWSEC has become the official program provider for different prestigious wine education organisations around the world:
- Academy of Wines of South Africa (Exclusive in HK) NEW
- German Wine Academy (Exclusive in HK)
- Wine Scholar Guild (Exclusive in HK)
- Australian Wine Discovered (Exclusive in HK)
- Barossa Wine School (Exclusive in HK)
- Wines of Chile Academy (Exclusive in HK and China)
- New Zealand Certification Programme (Exclusive in HK)
- L’Ecole du Vin de Bordeaux (Bordeaux Wine School)
- L’Ecole du Vin de Bourgogne (Bourgogne Wine School)
- Sake Sommelier Association
Built from Love and Passion
AWSEC is built from the love of our founders, Stephen & Jennie Mack, and their insightful vision. The love to discover life together, know different cultures, travel and the finer things in life – such as wine, food and culture. In the early 90s, there was no proper workshop but only some simple wine tastings held at wine retail stores in HK. With the years of experience in wine, Stephen & Jennie were asked to organize wine appreciation workshops with varying themes to groups of interested wine lovers. In 1993, Stephen & Jennie found the opportunity of wine industry in HK and even Asia. Hence, AWSEC is founded in 1994.
AWSEC was not an overnight phenomenon but grew in line with the growth of the industry.
In 1995, Stephen & Jennie were already asked to do a German wine workshop with OHPs (overhead transparencies).
Between 1995 and 1997, they started to design some interesting tutored tastings at a restaurant and promoted these tastings by fax! At the end of the day, they would come home to find fax paper strewn all over the floor with positive replies.
In 1997, Steve and Jennie were invited by a six-star cruise liner to conduct tasting classes for the guests and our very first wine class was right after the talk given by Barbara Walters!! Since then, Steve and Jennie experienced cruising the high seas over next 10 year time, we met top chefs, speakers, celebrities and top sommeliers; made friends from all cultures and learned different cuisines and wines. Steve and Jennie brought this experience back to share with students and fellow wine lovers of AWSEC.