Awards and Milestones
Established Asia Wine and Service Education Centre (AWSEC).
Pioneer in Wine Education for 23 Years
Established in 1994, Asia Wine Service & Education Centre (“AWSEC”) has influenced and trained over 100,000 wine professionals and enthusiasts in Hong Kong, China and Asia, building up the industry in this part of the world.
We are the longest established Approved Programme Provider with the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (“WSET®”) UK, and the only one offering the whole portfolio of the WSET® courses and examinations up to and including Diploma in Hong Kong.
Key Role in Developing Hong Kong as Wine Hub in Asia
AWSEC has been recognised by the Hong Kong Government as the market leader in wine education and training - a vital role in developing Hong Kong as the wine hub in Asia.
In addition, AWSEC has been involved in wine seminars, workshops, events and programmes in Hong Kong and China:
- Acted as the committee for the discussion panel at the first Hong Kong International Wine Fair.
- The CIVB (Bordeaux Wine School) had Jennie Mack speaking at the Wine & Dine Festival in October 2011.
- The Spanish Trade Commission invited AWSEC educators to offer Spanish wine workshops at HOFEX and the International Wine Fair in 2011.
- The Greece HEPO (Hellenic Exports Promotion Organisation) runs partnership with AWSEC to increase awareness of Greek wines in Hong Kong.
- With Hong Kong increasingly becoming an important wine hub in Asia, the second edition of Winefuture was held here in November 2011, for which AWSEC was the local partner. This wine summit featured well known and respected wine personalities like Robert Parker Jr., Jancis Robinson MW, Steven Spurrier, our own Masters of Wine Debra Meiburg and Jeannie Cho Lee and others from all over the world.
- In conjunction with A+ Wine Australia and Maxxium (now Edrington Hong Kong), we had a masterclass hosted by James Halliday and fellow winemakers to a group of 100 people at AWSEC.
AWSEC has become the official program provider for different prestigious wine education organisations around the world:
- German Wine Academy (Exclusive in HK) NEW
- Wine Scholar Guild (Exclusive in HK)
- A+ Australian Wine School Level 1 (Exclusive in HK)
- Barossa Wine School (Exclusive in HK)
- Wines of Chile Academy (Exclusive in HK and China)
- New Zealand Certification Programme (Exclusive in HK)
- L’Ecole du Vin de Bordeaux (Bordeaux Wine School)
- L’Ecole du Vin de Bourgogne (Bourgogne Wine School)
- Sake Sommelier Association
Built from Love and Passion
AWSEC is built from the love of our founders, Stephen & Jennie Mack, and their insightful vision. The love to discover life together, know different cultures, travel and the finer things in life – such as wine, food and culture. In the early 90s, there was no proper workshop but only some simple wine tastings held at wine retail stores in HK. With the years of experience in wine, Stephen & Jennie were asked to organize wine appreciation workshops with varying themes to groups of interested wine lovers. In 1993, Stephen & Jennie found the opportunity of wine industry in HK and even Asia. Hence, AWSEC is founded in 1994.
AWSEC was not an overnight phenomenon but grew in line with the growth of the industry.
In 1995, Stephen & Jennie were already asked to do a German wine workshop with OHPs (overhead transparencies).
Between 1995 and 1997, they started to design some interesting tutored tastings at a restaurant and promoted these tastings by fax! At the end of the day, they would come home to find fax paper strewn all over the floor with positive replies.
In 1997, Steve and Jennie were invited by a six-star cruise liner to conduct tasting classes for the guests and our very first wine class was right after the talk given by Barbara Walters!! Since then, Steve and Jennie experienced cruising the high seas over next 10 year time, we met top chefs, speakers, celebrities and top sommeliers; made friends from all cultures and learned different cuisines and wines. Steve and Jennie brought this experience back to share with students and fellow wine lovers of AWSEC.
Brighter Future with Commitment
AWSEC has grown a great reputation in wine education and training area in Asia since the humble beginnings in 1994. Now, over 20 years later, Steve and Jennie do see the growing demands on professional wine education for wine industry in order to create a sustainable wine market expansion and a sophisticated wine culture development.
AWSEC has been dedicated to provide top-quality wine education. Our efforts had been recognized with different awards. AWSEC has been awarded for WSET Educator of the Year 2013. We are the only APP in Hong Kong to be nominated and the first APP in Asia to be nominated 2 years in a row and wins the award. We were selected for making a significant contribution to WSET courses among 500+ providers around the world, and have achieved superlative results in WSET programmes whilst demonstrating commitment and innovation in education. In 2015, AWSEC’s contribution is recognised by another prestigious organisation, the Wine Scholar Guild as the Program Provider of the Year.
AWSEC celebrated 20th anniversary in 2014. As a “Pioneer wine educator for 20 Years” in Asia, we have big plans for providing holistic courses to fulfill ever growing demands from our students.
We hope to see you in one of our classes soon!